Chronic Halitosis Treatment in Berkeley, CA
Eliminate Bad Breath With Dr. Dailley
Chronic halitosis is a condition that causes persistent bad breath. If you suffer from halitosis, it can dramatically impact your social, professional, and dating life. This can damage your overall self-esteem and lead to depression.
Fortunately, Dr. Dailley specializes in treating halitosis and will determine the ideal solution for your condition when you visit us at Dailley Dental Care.
Causes of Chronic Halitosis
Chronic halitosis can develop from a variety of factors, including:
Dental Causes of Bad Breath
- Extensive dental decay
- Periodontal (gum) disease
- Oral infections or abscesses
- Oral cancer
- Xerostomia (dry mouth condition)
- Oral conditions resulting from post-nasal drips or discharges
- Allergy conditions
- A proliferation of specific types of gram (-) anaerobic bacteria
Medical Causes of Bad Breath
- Sinus infections & abnormal sinus anatomies, or post-nasal drainage (drips)
- Tonsilar infections or tonsillitis
- Lung diseases
- Kidney diseases
- Liver diseases
- Blood disorders
- Gallbladder dysfunction
Treating Chronic Halitosis
In most cases, Dr. Dailley will recommend trying a few remedies at home before exploring more intensive treatment. Some of these include:
- Brushing and Flossing — It’s crucial that you brush your teeth and floss every day to remove food particles and bacteria.
- Healthy Habits — Dr. Dailley may recommend moderate lifestyle changes such as a healthier diet, drinking more water, and quitting tobacco.
- Remove Dentures — If you wear dentures, make sure to remove them every night and clean them thoroughly before re-applying them.
If your condition isn’t affected by any of these at-home remedies, Dr. Dailley will provide professional treatment.
Cavities & Gum Disease
Two of the most common causes of chronic halitosis are cavities and gum disease. When you have a cavity, oral bacteria build up in the pit that forms in your tooth, potentially causing bad breath. This can typically be solved with a composite filling.
Similarly, gum disease creates pockets in your gum tissue that trap food crumbs and bacteria. Depending on the severity of your case, Dr. Dailley offers a few options to eliminate gum disease.
If your halitosis is the result of oral bacteria, prescription mouthwash is often an effective solution. Unlike over-the-counter mouthwashes, these are designed to specifically target odor-causing bacteria and eliminate bad breath.
In some cases, Dr. Dailley may determine that your condition isn’t caused by an oral issue. Halitosis can also result from medical conditions such as diabetes, respiratory infection, liver disease, and kidney disease.
These issues require immediate medical attention, not only to treat your halitosis but other potentially dangerous symptoms as well. No matter what’s causing your bad breath, Dr. Dailley will determine the underlying issue and ensure you receive the appropriate treatment.
Visit Dailley Dental Care for Chronic Halitosis Treatment
If you have bad breath that won’t go away, Dr. Dailley can provide the solution you’ve been looking for. Call our office in Berkeley at 510-848-0114 and schedule a consultation with Dr. Dailley today.